Thursday 11 January 2018

Mary Cunha

Mary's son, Pedro, contacted me when he was trying to trace the families of Anthony Rothera and Waldo Dawson, with whom his Portuguese mother corresponded when she was a young school girl whilst the two men were PoWs.

Below is a link to a wonderful collection of letters, pictures and postcards to and from the PoW Camp at Oflag VIIC.

1941
1942
1943
1944
1945
1946

Photo of Tony Rothera dated 15th September 1941

In November 2008 I heard from Pedro again with the following information:

"Dear Krista,
In 2006, we exchanged emails about the letters from 2 WWII POW's to my mother and you helped me to find the families of those POW's.

I am writing you again to inform that next Tuesday, Dec 3, we are personally delivering the originals of all those documents to the guard of "The Second World War Experience Centre" in Leeds.
We are happy to know that the son of one of the POW's, Ian Rothera, is joining us for the hand delivery. I have noticed that you posted the copies of the documents on www.wwiimemories.com - thank you for helping us to preserve the memories of those, like my mother, were directly or indirectly involved in WWII!
Best regards
Pedro Coimbra"

No comments:

Post a Comment